Shop our nature inspired jewelry and housewares, generated by simulation and fabricated by computer-controlled machines.
Floraform is inspired by the biomechanics of growing leaves and blooming flowers. Each piece emerges from a computational simulation of differential growth, a surface that grows at different rates in different location. The flowering structures expand fastest along their edges, evolving from simple surfaces to flexuous forms that fill space with curves, folds, and ruffles.
Kinematics is a system for designing and simulating flexible structures for 3D printing. Kinematics generates customized designs composed of 10s to thousands of hinged, interlocking modules. The designs are computationally folded using rigid-body physics into a smaller form for fabrication by 3D printing.
Generative design software
We create design software and web-applications based on scientific theories of pattern formation.
- November 20, 2017This blog post is cross-posted from the Design Objects blog. Since Spring 2016, I’ve been teac…
- October 30, 2017We created a large-scale art installation inspired by local coral reefs for Summit at Sea last year.
- October 24, 2017Geode is the latest fiendishly difficult jigsaw puzzle from “the monsters” who created t…
- September 22, 2017Nervous System created two new 3D-printed dresses for the exhibit Artificiella Ikoner at N…
- exhibit2016-12-01 to 2018-12-31at Museo del Gioiellokinematics jewelry on display
- "Coding 3D"exhibition2017-10-12 to 2018-04-12at 3D Printing Cultural MuseumKinematics dress on display
- pop-up event2018-03-03 to 2018-03-04at Museum of Fine Arts BostonNervous System is bringing puzzles for a one-night event at the MFA!
- Lecture at ETH Zurichlecture2018-03-22at Zurich, Switzerland