Shop our nature inspired jewelry and housewares, generated by simulation and fabricated by computer-controlled machines.
Floraform is inspired by the biomechanics of growing leaves and blooming flowers. Each piece emerges from a computational simulation of differential growth, a surface that grows at different rates in different location. The flowering structures expand fastest along their edges, evolving from simple surfaces to flexuous forms that fill space with curves, folds, and ruffles.
Kinematics is a system for designing and simulating flexible structures for 3D printing. Kinematics generates customized designs composed of 10s to thousands of hinged, interlocking modules. The designs are computationally folded using rigid-body physics into a smaller form for fabrication by 3D printing.
Generative design software
We create design software and web-applications based on scientific theories of pattern formation.
- February 24, 2020We were invited to Construct3D, a conference on digital fabrication and education, to make an art pi…
- November 14, 2019The Spiral Puzzle is a twist on traditional jigsaw puzzles. Usually you begin a puzzle by assembling…
- September 23, 2019This weekend we are hosting our first open studio event in the Catskills! Stop by our new place in P…
- July 01, 2019Nervous System collaborated with New Balance on the new 990 Sport TripleCell sneakers which have 3D…
- lecture2020-06-08 to 2020-06-11at Minneapolis, MN
- exhibit2020-06-26 to 2020-10-25at National Museum of Scotlandkinematics dress on display
- lecture2020-07-24 to 2020-07-26at Sturbridge, MA
- open studio2020-09-26 to 2020-09-27at Palenville, NY