Shop our nature inspired jewelry and housewares, generated by simulation and fabricated by computer-controlled machines.
Floraform is inspired by the biomechanics of growing leaves and blooming flowers. Each piece emerges from a computational simulation of differential growth, a surface that grows at different rates in different location. The flowering structures expand fastest along their edges, evolving from simple surfaces to flexuous forms that fill space with curves, folds, and ruffles.
Kinematics is a system for designing and simulating flexible structures for 3D printing. Kinematics generates customized designs composed of 10s to thousands of hinged, interlocking modules. The designs are computationally folded using rigid-body physics into a smaller form for fabrication by 3D printing.
Generative design software
We create design software and web-applications based on scientific theories of pattern formation.
- December 16, 2018We were honored to be invited by John Maeda to design the trophy for the Automattic Design Awards th…
- November 08, 2018Explore the Earth and Moon through our mind-bending, never-ending jigsaw puzzles. The Earth Puzzle i…
- November 01, 2018The Coral Cup is a new design from Nervous System. Computationally-generated and handcrafted in porc…
- June 05, 2018We are having a sale on our stainless steel jewelry. Take 25% off with coupon STEEL25. Our intricate…
- exhibit2018-11-09 to 2019-03-01at Arup Londondata driven midsoles with New Balance on display
- exhibition2019-01-22 to 2019-03-06at UMass Lowellzoetrope on display
- lecture2019-02-11at College of Art and Design, UTK5:30pm in McCarty Auditorium
- lecture2019-04-04at University of Akron, Ohio