Shop our nature inspired jewelry and housewares, generated by simulation and fabricated by computer-controlled machines.
Floraform is inspired by the biomechanics of growing leaves and blooming flowers. Each piece emerges from a computational simulation of differential growth, a surface that grows at different rates in different location. The flowering structures expand fastest along their edges, evolving from simple surfaces to flexuous forms that fill space with curves, folds, and ruffles.
Kinematics is a system for designing and simulating flexible structures for 3D printing. Kinematics generates customized designs composed of 10s to thousands of hinged, interlocking modules. The designs are computationally folded using rigid-body physics into a smaller form for fabrication by 3D printing.
Generative design software
We create design software and web-applications based on scientific theories of pattern formation.
- June 28, 2017Floraform Chandelier, 2017 (1.1 x 1.1 x .53 m), Selectively Laser Sintered nylon, wood and LED light…
- June 05, 2017A few years ago, we started thinking about applying the design+simulation techniques of our Kinemati…
- November 23, 2016Have you ever done a puzzle that has no beginning or end? Where you don’t know up from down? G…
- October 21, 2016Ever wanted to get a closer look at what goes into making one of our 3D-printed Kinematics dresses?
- exhibition2016-10-25 to 2017-09-15at Ars Electronica CenterFloraform and Kinematics Dress on display
- exhibit2016-12-01 to 2018-12-31at Museo del Gioiellokinematics jewelry on display
- exhibition2017-05-19 to 2017-11-05at Musée d’Art moderne de la Ville de ParisCell Cycle jewelry on display
- exhibition2017-05-19 to 2017-10-29at Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design MuseumKinematics dress on display