Shop our nature inspired jewelry and housewares, generated by simulation and fabricated by computer controlled machines.
Floraform is inspired by the biomechanics of growing leaves and blooming flowers. Each piece emerges from a computational simulation of differential growth, a surface that grows at different rates in different location. The flowering structures expand fastest along their edges, evolving from simple surfaces to flexuous forms that fill space with curves, folds, and ruffles.
Kinematics is a system for designing and simulating flexible structures for 3D printing. Kinematics generates customized designs composed of 10s to thousands of hinged, interlocking modules. The designs are computationally folded using rigid-body physics into a smaller form for fabrication by 3D printing.
Generative design software
We create design software and web-applications based on scientific theories of pattern formation.
- July 08, 2015This Sunday July 12th we will be at the MoMA Store in Soho (81 Spring Street, NYC) for a special eve…
- June 30, 2015This past weekend was one of hyphae experiments. We finally had a chance to play around with Autodes…
- June 22, 2015Introducing Floraform, the latest generative design system from Nervous System. Floraform is inspire…
- May 18, 2015One of our favorite books from last year is Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer. The book is written fro…
- exhibit2014-11-03 to 2015-10-31at Museum for Communication, The Haguehyphae lamps & kinematics necklaces on display
- exhibit2015-02-14 to 2016-01-01at Museum of Modern Art, New York, NYKinematics Dress on display
- exhibit2015-08-23 to 2016-01-03at Museum of Design Atlantakinematics dress on display
- exhibition2015-09-11 to 2015-10-20at Cheongju, South Korea