Shop our nature inspired jewelry and housewares, generated by simulation and fabricated by computer-controlled machines.
Floraform is inspired by the biomechanics of growing leaves and blooming flowers. Each piece emerges from a computational simulation of differential growth, a surface that grows at different rates in different location. The flowering structures expand fastest along their edges, evolving from simple surfaces to flexuous forms that fill space with curves, folds, and ruffles.
Kinematics is a system for designing and simulating flexible structures for 3D printing. Kinematics generates customized designs composed of 10s to thousands of hinged, interlocking modules. The designs are computationally folded using rigid-body physics into a smaller form for fabrication by 3D printing.
Generative design software
We create design software and web-applications based on scientific theories of pattern formation.
- May 16, 2018Porifera is a new jewelry collection by Nervous System inspired by the forms of deep-sea glass spong…
- May 01, 2018Have you ever done a puzzle that has no beginning or end? Where you don’t know up from down? G…
- April 24, 2018Hello! My name is Gabe Fields, and I spent the month of January this year as an intern at Nervous Sy…
- November 20, 2017This blog post is cross-posted from the Design Objects blog. Since Spring 2016, I’ve been teac…
- exhibit2016-12-01 to 2018-12-31at Museo del Gioiellokinematics jewelry on display
- exhibition2018-04-05 to 2018-07-09at Rmn-GP
- tradeshow2018-05-20 to 2018-05-23at Javits Center, milk stand
- keynote2018-10-05 to 2018-10-08at Georgia TechConference on 3D Printing & Digital Fabrication for Education