Shop our nature inspired jewelry and housewares, generated by simulation and fabricated by computer-controlled machines.
Floraform is inspired by the biomechanics of growing leaves and blooming flowers. Each piece emerges from a computational simulation of differential growth, a surface that grows at different rates in different location. The flowering structures expand fastest along their edges, evolving from simple surfaces to flexuous forms that fill space with curves, folds, and ruffles.
Kinematics is a system for designing and simulating flexible structures for 3D printing. Kinematics generates customized designs composed of 10s to thousands of hinged, interlocking modules. The designs are computationally folded using rigid-body physics into a smaller form for fabrication by 3D printing.
Generative design software
We create design software and web-applications based on scientific theories of pattern formation.
- October 30, 2017We created a large-scale art installation inspired by local coral reefs for Summit at Sea last year.
- October 24, 2017Geode is the latest fiendishly difficult jigsaw puzzle from “the monsters” who created t…
- September 22, 2017Nervous System created two new 3D-printed dresses for the exhibit Artificiella Ikoner at N…
- June 28, 2017Floraform Chandelier, 2017 (1.1 x 1.1 x .53 m), Selectively Laser Sintered nylon, wood and LED light…
- exhibit2016-12-01 to 2018-12-31at Museo del Gioiellokinematics jewelry on display
- exhibition2017-10-01 to 2018-01-28at MoMAKinematics Dress 1 on display
- "Coding 3D"exhibition2017-10-12 to 2018-04-12at 3D Printing Cultural MuseumKinematics dress on display
- exhibition2017-11-16 to 2018-01-08at Toyama Prefectural MuseumKinematics Dress 11 on display