Shop our nature inspired jewelry and housewares, generated by simulation and fabricated by computer-controlled machines.
Floraform is inspired by the biomechanics of growing leaves and blooming flowers. Each piece emerges from a computational simulation of differential growth, a surface that grows at different rates in different location. The flowering structures expand fastest along their edges, evolving from simple surfaces to flexuous forms that fill space with curves, folds, and ruffles.
Kinematics is a system for designing and simulating flexible structures for 3D printing. Kinematics generates customized designs composed of 10s to thousands of hinged, interlocking modules. The designs are computationally folded using rigid-body physics into a smaller form for fabrication by 3D printing.
Generative design software
We create design software and web-applications based on scientific theories of pattern formation.
- July 01, 2019Nervous System collaborated with New Balance on the new 990 Sport TripleCell sneakers which have 3D…
- May 16, 2019Nervous System Moves to the Catskills Big news! We are relocating from Somerville, MA…
- May 02, 2019We founded Nervous System in 2007 with the goal of adapting algorithms and strategies from nature in…
- April 23, 2019We’re celebrating 12 years of craft + computation at Nervous System with our first t-shirt! Yo…
- exhibition2019-03-01 to 2019-09-01at La Triennale di Milano
- Design and Scienceexhibit2019-09-11 to 2019-10-17at Eastern Michigan University Gallery